Horry County Cemetery Project
Started in 2007, the Horry County Cemetery Project is Horry County’s attempt to inventory, map, and preserve every gravesite in every historic cemetery in the County, even those that may have been lost for decades. The project attempts to record all names, dates of birth and death, lineage, epitaphs, symbols, and condition from every gravesite in every historic cemetery in Horry County, as well as photograph each gravesite and digitally map the cemeteries using GIS tools. Unmarked graves are also found and permanently marked using ground penetrating radar. The project was undertaken to: (1) protect historic properties at the local level; (2) protect historic properties from encroachment and growth pressures; (3) create greater interest in historic preservation; and, (4) create the necessary framework for local level protection. We are always looking for volunteers to help with this project!
Legacy Business Recognition Program
Pays tribute to local businesses that have contributed to the economic heritage of Horry County for more than 50-continuous years. In 2016, the BAR won a Preservation Service Award from the Palmetto Trust for Historic Preservation for the Horry County Legacy Business Recognition Program
The following businesses have been recognized by the BAR as a “Horry County Legacy Business”:
- Rhue’s Mortuary
- Matthew and Beatrice Rhue started Rhue’s Mortuary in 1959, and is a 2nd generation family-owned business. Today, the business is owned by Matthew and Beatrice’s son Samuel, along with his wife Florence.
- Palmetto Chevrolet
- Palmetto Chevrolet began as Lee’s Chevrolet in 1930, and became Palmetto Chevrolet in 1942, making the dealership 84-years old! Palmetto occupies multiple historic buildings and is an icon in historic downtown Conway.
- Nye’s Pharmacy
- The four Nye brothers established the Nye’s Drugs chain of stores in 1928, making the business 87-years old! The current Nye’s Pharmacy is the last remaining store of the Nye chain of drug stores. The first location was on Main Street in Conway (closed in 1971), and there were also locations in Mullins and Myrtle Beach. The current Nye’s Pharmacy location was built in 1953, and it is one of the city’s only examples of modern style architecture, making it an icon in historic Conway. It was originally owned by David Sherwood Nye, Sr. and R. Bruce Nye. David Sherwood Nye, Jr. (Jimmie) continued the family tradition until his retirement in1994. Kevin Martin took over the reins for 20 years, and now Matt and Tiffany Combs continue the tradition of serving Conway citizens with their medical needs.
- Conway National Bank
- The Conway National Bank began as the Bank of Horry in 1903, and became The Conway National Bank in 1914, making the business 112-years old! The Conway National Bank is an icon in Horry County. Today, CNB operates 14 offices in Horry County and the Waccamaw Neck area of Georgetown County.
- Peaches Corner
- The Myrtle Beach landmark known as Peaches Corner has remained a symbol of summer for visitors and locals since it opened its doors 78 years ago. The restaurant, originally known as the Atlantic Ale House, was started by Lillian Justice Peach in 1937. The location had previously been used as a bath house, because of its close proximity to the Old Myrtle Beach Pavilion and the beach. In 1943, the restaurant was purchased by Johnny and Eunice Burroughs. They decided to keep the established name “Peaches”. Ownership of the restaurant was passed down to the Burroughs’s daughter Pamela Crutchfield, who managed the restaurant until the past decade when her son-in-law Briggs Dickerson took over as restaurant manager.
- The Conway landmark known as Donzelle’s Restaurant began in 1962 by Willard “Dick” Dickerson and his wife Donzelle Dickerson. When the restaurant first opened, the Dickersons served breakfast lunch and dinner. One of their specials known as the meat plus three was offered for thirty-five cents, today the same special is offered for eight dollars and fifty cents. Today, Larry and his brother Russell are second-generation owners of Donzelle’s Restaurant. Russell Dickerson manages the front house and Larry takes care of the kitchen and catering.
- Hucks & Washington Furniture
- Hucks & Washington Furniture Company was founded in 1946 by Curtis Hucks and his nephew Sam Washington. Prior to this, Sam majored in music and minored in business. Having gone to USC on the GI Bill, Sam served in the Navy in WWI. After the war, he returned home and his uncle Curtis convinced him to open a furniture store rather than teaching piano. The store flourished and grew over the years. In 1968, at the death of Curtis, Sam took over as sole owner. In the 1990s, Sam’s daughter Anne took an active role in the family business. She became owner in 2010 when her father passed away.
- Ocean Fish Market
- The Conway Landmark known as Ocean Fish Market was founded by George Martin in the early 1940s…making it around 75 years old! Marie Shelley Graham began working for Mr. Martin when she was 18, and ultimately co-owned the business for 50 years. Her daughter, Janice Graham Jordan also worked at the Ocean Fish Market. Janice’s husband, F.W. Graham, co-owning the business with Marie until it was sold to the current owners, the Hardees, in 1998. Diane and Ray Hardee, and their daughter Jennie, now own and run the business. The business remained in the family, as Diane is the niece of Marie. Therefore, Jennie is a 4th generation owner! The business was originally located across the street from its current location; it was moved just a few years after opening its doors. The current building was originally used as a blacksmith shop in the early 1900s. You can still see the metal rings on the brick wall outside, where people would tie up their horses when they came into town.
- Norman’s Cleaners
- In 1962, Norman Moore opened Norman’s Cleaners at its original location on 3rd Avenue in Conway...making it 54 years old! From there, the business moved to Law Street, and then in 1972 settled at the current location on 4th Avenue. This current location was originally a car service station built in the 1940s that Norman renovated, including closing the garages. Prior to the car service station, a theater had been on the property. When Norman passed away, his son Tommy Moore became owner of the business. Tommy and his son Bradley now run the business together. Norman’s Cleaners not only has 3rd generation owners, but they also have 3rd generation employees.
- The Bowery
- Since 1944, the Bowery has been a Myrtle Beach landmark. The house band from 1973-1980 was famous country group “ALABAMA”, who still make appearances. Victor Shamah has owned the Bowery for more than 30 years.
- The Gay Dolphin
- The family-owned and operated Gay Dolphin Gift Cove was opened in 1946 by Justin Whitaker Plyler, Sr. and Eloise Plyler. In 1954, Hurricane Hazel destroyed the original store, but it was rebuilt on the same site. The current owner, Justin “Buz” Plyer, Jr., started working for his parents at the Gay Dolphin at the age of 8.
- Friendly Barber Shop
- In 1958, Jerome Thomas opened the Bamboo Barber shop on 1403 Carver Street in Myrtle Beach. The business was later renamed the Friendly Barber Shop, due to Jerome’s positive attitude, encouraging words, and ever-present smile. In 1966, Ella “Dolly” Thomas Dolly joined the business as the only female barber. Jerome died in 2007, leaving Dolly to run the business with the help of Franklin Tucker, a dedicated employee for over 45 years.
- WF Cox
- The family-owned and operated WF Cox was opened in 1953. Steve Cox is the owner and a strong supporter of the community. His motto is, “We live here, we work here” and treats customers like family, offering floor covering and major appliances throughout Horry, Marion, Columbus and Brunswick Counties.
- Wolpert’s Department Store
- Bernard and Katie Wolpert emigrated from Russia to New York. A cousin who lived in Whiteville convinced the couple to move to Loris, where they opened Wolpert’s Department Store in 1938. The Wolperts, with the help of their son Robert, owned the business until 1992 when it was purchased by the current owner Gene Mills.
- Loris Drug Store
- The first drug store in Loris was known as Loris Drug Store. The business has been in Singleton Bailey’s family since 1947, with his father working there several years prior.
- Hardwick’s Funeral Home
- In 1921, Jennings Hardwick began selling caskets at Peoples Hardware Store, and used his truck as a funeral coach. In 1948, Harold Hardwick, Jennings' son, began working in the business when he was only 14. After the passing of both father and son, the 3rd generation, Stephen Hardwick, became the owner and operator. Hardwick Funeral Home provides funeral, burial and cremation services as well as life celebration services.
- Graham Brothers Farm Supply
- Graham Brothers Farm Supply started in 1948 when Harvey Graham, Sr. began selling fertilizer, fruit, Christmas trees, and hail insurance. In 1951, he and his brother Horace built a feed mill, and then a farm supply store on Railroad Ave. In 1965 Harvey Jr. joined the family business, and Harvey the 3rd joined in 1986. Today, Harvey the 3rd and Harvey the 4th (Grayson) continue successfully operating the feed and grain supply store.
- Stevens Law Firm
- In 1948-49, James Stevens enrolled at the University of South Carolina under the GI Bill. He went onto USC's Law School, obtaining his law degree and returned to Loris to set up his law practice. In addition to his law practice, James served in the SC Senate. In 1973, his son Jimmy graduated from USC's Law School and joined the practice. In 1986, James retired from the practice but remained with the law firm as “of counsel.”
- Dew’s Appliances
- Since 1947, Dew's, a family-owned appliance and HVAC business, has been a local tradition in North Myrtle Beach and the surrounding North and South Carolina communities.
- Hoskins Restaurant
- Hoskins Restaurant has been a staple in the North Myrtle Beach area for almost 70 years. It was opened in 1948 by Hubert and Leona Hoskins. Today, the restaurant continues to be staffed and run by family members.
Know a business that has been in operation in Horry County for 50 years or more? Contact us with details!
Legacy Business Application
Local Historical Sites & Structures High School Video Contest
High school students create local history related videos, telling the story of a building or a site within Horry County. Judged and award prizes by the BAR.
Video Contest Application
Patriot Tree Project
Honors historic trees by pairing them with soldiers from Horry County that served in the Civil War.
Patriot Tree Project
SC Century Farm Program
State-wide program that honors families who have owned and farmed the same land for at least one hundred years. There are currently 13 farms in Horry County that have received this designation.
SC Century Farms Application.
Horry County Century Farms