SC Code 12-37-2740 - Suspension of driver's license and vehicle registration for failure to pay personal property tax on a vehicle.
- Taxes are delinquent 120 days from the date of your new car purchase.
- After 120 days a final notice is mailed giving additional 30 days to pay.
- If taxes remain unpaid after 30 days from the date of the final notice a suspension will be placed on your driver's license/license registration.
- Once taxes are paid the registration will be reinstated and you will be required to pay a $50.00 reinstatement fee at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- For further information on vehicle registration or license you can visit the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles website at www.scdmvonline.com or call 803-896-5000.
Watercraft/Outboard Motor - If your name is on the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Titling and Registration records as of December 31, the County is generated a report in January with your name and description of the boat/outboard motor. The County Auditor will assess this information and will forward you a personal property tax notice.
- Tax notices are mailed out October 1st.
- Taxes are considered delinquent March 17th.
- Delinquent tax notices are mailed April 1st.
- Registration will be suspended if taxes remain unpaid after 30 days of the mailing of the delinquent notice
- Reactivation of registration will occur once taxes are paid.
- For further information on Watercraft/Outboard Motors you can visit the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources website at www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/registration.html or call 803-734-3857.