Pretrial Intervention (PTI) is a diversion program established by state statue and upon successful completion charge(s) are dismissed and criminal prosecution is avoided. With the support of PTI, all participants are provided an opportunity to evaluate themselves and to make necessary changes for a more positive lifestyle.
Who is eligible for PTI?
The PTI Act of 1980 states that PTI shall be appropriate where:
- The offender is at least 17 years of age;
- Justice will be served by placing the offender in an intervention program;
- The needs of offender and state can be better met outside the traditional criminal justice process
- The offender poses no threat to the community;
- The offender is unlikely to be involved in further criminal activity;
- The offender is likely to respond quickly to rehabilitative treatment;
- The offender has no significant prior criminal history.
- No prior participation in PTI
How does the participant enter PTI?
- A participant is referred to PTI by the Solicitor, Summary Court Judge or Municipal Court Judge.
- Prior to the scheduled court date, Summary Court and Municipal Court cases may be eligible to enter PTI as a self referral. All General Sessions cases must be referred by the Solicitor.
Self Referral Application Court Referral Application
If you are interested in applying to the Pretrial Intervention Program, please contact the office directly at (843) 915- 5365 prior to submitting an application.
What is needed to apply?
- A money order made payable to the PTI in the amount of $350.00
- Driver’s license (or another photo ID)
- Social Security Card
What is required while in the program?
- Report to PTI as required
- Complete sixty (60) hours of community service work for a non-profit organization
- No illegal drug use
- Pay restitution to the victim if applicable
- Participate in outside services if required (alcohol/drug education or treatment, prison tours, life-style group, anger management, etc)
- Complete all goals and deadlines
Local Requirements Out of State Requirements
How long is the program?
The length of participation in PTI ranges from four to twelve (4-12) months, based on the participant’s individual needs and goals.