Should you find yourself and your home confronted with a fire, there are certain steps that should be taken to insure safety. These tactics vary according to the size and type of the fire:
- Use a fire extinguisher to put out small fires. Do not try to put out a fire that is getting out of control. Get everyone out of the residence, go to a neighbor's and call 9-1-1.
- Smother oil and grease fires by putting a lid over the flame of the burning pan; then remove it to a cool surface and turn off the burner.
- If your clothes catch on fire, stop, drop, and roll until the fire is extinguished.
- Sleep with your bedroom door closed.
- Practice a home fire drill at least twice a year.
For more information on what to do during a fire, contact Horry County Fire/Rescue Administration office at 843-915-5190.