Animal Care CenterAnimal Care Center

The Animal Care Center provides excellent care and humane treatment for all animals while maintaining a clean and healthy environment for both animals and people. Its main goals are to promote and provide healthy adoptions and work with animal control to better serve Horry County.

Adoptable Pets Transferable Pets Lost Pets Report a Lost Animal Make Donation Like Us on Facebook

Our Five Missions

  1. Provide excellent care and humane treatment for all animals.
  2. Maintain a clean and healthy environment for both animals and people.
  3. Promote and provide healthy adoptions.
  4. Offer excellent customer service and humane education.
  5. Work with animal control to better serve Horry County.

Donations and Payments

The Horry County Animal Care Center now accepts online payments for donations and invoices. Click here to make a donation or payment. Thank you for your support!


The HCACC will not refuse to accept stray pets in Horry County. If you cannot afford to pay the intake fee please speak with a Customer Service Representative.

You will need to show identification such as a driver's license or state issued identification and should bring photos, vet records, etc. to verify proof of ownership. 

This facility is not a no-kill facility. While we offer every opportunity to find homes for all the animals, there aren't enough homes for all that come in. Euthanasia decisions are based on health, temperament, and the amount of space we have available. 

When you surrender your pet, you give up all rights and claims to that animal. We will not contact you further. If you are not comfortable with this policy, try placing an ad in the newspaper, online, or other facility before bringing the pet here. We cannot guarantee that your pet will be adopted.

Adoptions are on a "first-come, first-served" basis. We cannot hold an animal.

If you are interested in becoming a foster, please call 843-915-5172 or email us at

The Horry County Animal Care Center accepts cash, Visa & Mastercard as acceptable forms of payment. We do not accept checks (except for donations). Full payment is due at the time services are rendered.


Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if a stray comes up to my house?
If a stray shows up, you can take it to the Animal Care Center, Monday through Friday from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM, or you can contact animal control at (843) 248-1520 to come and pick it up. Please note that they do not pick up stray cats unless they are already captured. If you cannot catch it, you will need to purchase, rent or borrow a trap from a friend or relative and capture the cat.
When are rabies clinics?
DHEC sponsored Rabies Clinics are held the month of April. The cost of the Rabies vaccine is $10.00. For Horry County Sponsored vaccination clinics please see the information above.
How do I report animal abuse?
Contact the Horry County Animal Control Division at (843) 248-1520. They will send an officer to investigate the situation.
Can I borrow a trap?
Horry County does not have traps available for public use.
Is it against the law to feed the birds and wildlife?
It is not illegal to feed songbirds from a feeder but it is unlawful to feed migratory waterfowl in Horry County. We also do not recommend feeding wildlife as they become dependent on human interaction and then become a nuisance or danger to the public.
What is the leash law in Horry County?
There isn't an actual leash law in the county. There is a public nuisance ordinance that states that the animal must be on the owner's property or on or under the owner's control at all times. Pets cannot run at large.

For Your Information

You should not feed wild animals such as raccoons, alligators, bears or foxes. Feeding these animals will cause them to cohabitate with humans, very often creating a nuisance and possibly a threat to humans.

If a fox, bobcat, raccoon or opossum is on your property and shows no fear of human beings you should exercise extreme caution. These animals are known to be carriers of rabies and extreme caution should be taken with them.

Common Terms

Dangerous Animal
Any animal whose behavior constitutes a reasonable risk of injuring a human or animal or damaging personal or real property. The behavior includes, but is not limited to, an animal biting or attempting to attack a human or another animal. However, this definition shall not apply to any animal that has been subjected to provocation or if the victim has been trespassing, as defined herein, upon the animal owner's premises.
Exotic Animals
Any animal that is not common to the area. Example: lions, monkeys, ostriches, emus, etc.
Wild Animals
Any animal which can normally be found in the wild state, particularly those feral, exotic, dangerous or non-domestic animals which generally do not live in or about the habitation of humans, including but not limited to deer, lions, racoons, skunks, squirrels, snakes, alligators, bears.

Service Fees

Department Logo

Department Head
Chief Joseph Hill

Department Well

Captain Justin Wyatt
Phone: (843) 915-5172
Fax: (843) 915-6170
Mailing Address
1923 Industrial Park Road
Conway, SC 29526
Physical Address
1923 Industrial Park Road
Conway, SC 29526
Office Hours
10:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Monday through Friday
(by appointment only)

10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
(by appointment only)




Public Services

Phone: (843) 915-5171

Environmental Services

Phone: (843) 915-5173