Horry County Engineering is responsible for administration of the Beach Renourishment Program and Local Road Improvement Program, acquiring road and drainage easements, approving and inspecting the construction of subdivisions, and administration of the Horry County Traffic Calming Program.

Beach Renourishment


  • Administration of Horry County Local Road Improvement Program
  • Administration of Horry County Beach Renourishment Program
  • Processing encroachment permit applications
  • Acquisition of road and drainage easements
  • Review and approval of subdivision plans. Construction inspections of approved subdivisions and administration of road dedication process.
  • Administration of Horry County Traffic Calming Program
  • Railroad management and administration of freight operation lease.

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get my road paved?
In FY 98 Horry County implemented the Horry County Local Road Improvement Program. Initially the roads to be paved were prioritized by the individual council members. Once their requests have been completed future roads will be identified by the Engineering Department based on an updated road priority list within each district. Recommendations will then be presented to council members for their review and approval and the final list will be approved by county council. Since 1998, 153 miles have been paved.
Who do I call if I have a road or drainage problem?
Call the Horry County Road and Drainage Hotline at (843) 381-8000. The callers name, address, phone number and complaint/request are entered into the Hotline system and forwarded to an Engineering Technician to investigate. The caller will be contacted within 48 hours to schedule an on site inspection so that an assessment of the problem can be prepared
Will Horry County install a drainage pipe in my driveway?
This service is no longer provided.
How do I obtain an encroachment permit for issues such as placing an object or working in the County right-of-way?
The Horry County Engineering Department reviews such requests individually and, upon approval, issues an encroachment permit for the placement of items within the County's right-of-way. Encroachment permits are issued at no charge by the Engineering Department. Click here to download the form. After completing this form please submit it to the Engineering Department via mail, e-mail or in person.

If you have trouble displaying the form online, we will be happy to mail a copy or you can stop by the Engineering Department to pick one up.
How can I get speed humps installed for my neighborhood streets?
> County-owned and maintained streets in residential neighborhoods are eligible for speed humps through the Horry County Traffic Calming Program. Click here to download the form.

Common Terms

Right-of-way Easement
A legeal document which creates a public road access acreoss a portion of an individuals property.
Drainage Easement
A legal document allowing Horry County staff members to enter private property for the purpose of installing and/or maintaining a drainage ditch.
Encroachment Permit
A document allowing a citizen to place an object or perform work within the County's easement.
Dedication Documents
Documents prepared by developers wishing to dedicate subdivisions to Horry County once construction is complete.

Major Projects

  • Horry County Local Road Improvement Program
  • Horry County Road and Drainage Hotline
  • Implementation of County Pavement Management Program
  • Beach Renourishment

Interesting Facts

  • In March 1997 the Horry County Road and Drainage Hotline was established to provide the citizens of Horry County with a central location for voicing road and drainage complaints and requests, as well as allowing Horry County to track and file those complaints received. Advertisements have been run on cable television information channels, in newspapers and bumper stickers have been utilized in an effort to provide the telephone number to the public. The hotline has responded to 25,500 concerns since 1997.
  • In 1998 the Horry County Local Road Improvement Program was approved by County Council. Since that time 153 miles have been improved to a paved condition. Additionally, 20 bridges have been repaired/replaced utilizing this plan.
  • In November 2006 the citizens of Horry County approved the One-Cent Capital Projects Sales Tax referendum. This program will pave an additional 100 miles of County roads; resurface 67 miles; construct a grade separated interchange at the intersection of US Hwy. 17 Bypass and SC Hwy. 707 at the Backgate of the Myrtle Beach Air Base; widen SC Hwy. 707 from Enterprise Road to the County line including intersection improvements at SC Hwy. 544; construct the Aynor overpass; widen Glenns Bay Road to three lanes and construct a grade separated interchange at US Hwy. 17 Bypass; and pave two lanes of International Drive from Carolina Forest to SC Hwy. 90 within the next seven years. Click here for more details and status updates of the these paving projects.

Department Well

Department Head
Andy Markunas
Phone: (843) 915-5160
Fax: (843) 365-2170
Mailing Address
4401 Privetts Road
Conway, SC 29526
Physical Address
4401 Privetts Road
Conway, SC 29526
Office Hours
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Monday through Friday

To report a drainage or water quality problem, please call the hotline: 843-381-8000.