The Planning and Zoning Department consists of three divisions: 1) Current Planning, 2) Land Development, and 3) Long Range Planning. The following details some of the primary functions of the department:
- Administer and enforce the Zoning Ordinance and Land Development Regulations.
- Coordinate all residential, commercial and sign development plans to all appropriate departments to ensure development meets the requirements of the Zoning Ordinance, Stormwater Ordinance, Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance, Fire Code and Land Development Regulations.
- Review and issue Zoning Compliance for all new businesses in the County.
- Street naming and addressing for the Emergency 9-1-1 Program.
- Provide support for the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Review rezoning, variance, special exception, special event, and agritourism, mining, and telecommunication permit requests.
- Review proposed Development Agreements to ensure that they are consistent with the Comprehensive Plan and adequately support public facility and transportation needs.
- Maintain letters of credit and cash bonds from developers to ensure completion of infrastructure in major subdivisions.
- Write the Comprehensive Plan and develop studies and plans related to growth, revitalization and neighborhood stabilization, transportation, infrastructure and public safety.
- Work with the Grand Strand Area Transportation Study (GSATS), SCDOT, and Horry County Engineering and RIDE 3 Program to coordinate regional transportation efforts.
- Preserve Horry County’s History through the Board of Architectural Review and Historic Preservation.
- Work with the Parks and Open Space Board to make recreation and open space expansion recommendations.
- Coordinate volunteer efforts to reduce litter and beautify the community through the Keep Horry County Beautiful Committee.
This website is designed to provide the user with information regarding the administration and enforcement of all planning and zoning functions and processes. For further assistance, please contact the Department at 843 915-5340.