Public news and announcements are brought to you by the Horry County Public Information Office.
On August 10, 2018
Conway, South Carolina – The Horry County Board of Architectural Review’s Legacy Business Recognition Program will hold a ribbon cutting at the Pine Lakes Country Club August 22, 2018, at 2 p.m.; Horry County Councilman Bill Howard will present the award. The ceremony is free and open to the public.
Founded as the Ocean Forest Golf Club in 1927 and located in the heart of Myrtle Beach, this golf club became known as “The Granddaddy”. It was renamed Pine Lakes International Country Club under the ownership of Fredrick Albert Warner Miles and placed on the National Register of Historic Places November 7, 1996. This golf course has a rich and interesting history. The clubhouse was designed by New York architect, Raymond Hood in the classical revival style and the course itself was designed by architect Robert White who was also the first president of the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA). In 1954, Pine Lakes became the birthplace of a now world-famous weekly magazine, Sports Illustrated. Pine Lakes has recently added the Golf Hall of Fame which honors the men and women who have had significant roles in the Myrtle Beach golf industry. This club is also significant for its association with the growth of Myrtle Beach as a coastal community resort destination.
The Horry County Legacy Business Recognition Program pays tribute to local businesses that have contributed to the economic heritage of Horry County for more than 50-continuous years.
The Pine Lakes Country Club is located at 5603 Granddaddy Drive, in Myrtle Beach.
For more information on the Legacy Business Recognition Program contact Lou Conklin, Senior Planner, with Horry County Planning & Zoning at (843) 915-5340.
On July 16, 2018
in County News, Events
On June 22, 2018
Conway, South Carolina – The Horry County Board of Architectural Review and Historic Preservation (BAR) will be unveiling a George Whitefield historical marker at Little River United Methodist Church Tuesday, June 26, 2018, at 9 a.m. The event is free and open to the public.
The George Whitefield Marker was originally approved in 1976 with a location along Highway 17 just east of the North Myrtle Beach Flea Market. The marker was damaged and the location did not have easy access for people to pull off the road to read the sign. The BAR voted to replace and move the sign to its new location.
The Little River United Methodist Church is located on the corner of Highway 17 and Mineola Avenue in Little River.
For more information, contact Lou Conklin, Senior Planner with Horry County Planning & Zoning at (843) 915-5340.
A complete listing of all historical markers in South Carolina may be found on the State Historic Preservation Office website.
On June 1, 2018
Conway, South Carolina—Horry County Government will host a Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for the new Splash Pad at the James R. Frazier Community Center on Wednesday, June 6 at 2:00 p.m.
Join Horry County Councilman Harold Phillips and Horry County Council Chairman Mark Lazarus along with members of the Parks and Open Space Board, Keep Horry County Beautiful, and Parks and Recreation to recognize the opening of the new Splash Pad at the James R. Frazier Community Center.
The Splash Pad is part of a larger beautification project at the James R. Frazier Community Center which will include the Splash Pad and a Born Learning Trail. The splash pad is a 707 square foot wet play area for children adding another amenity for families at a beloved community center.
The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will take place at the James R. Frazier Community Center located at 1370 Bucksport Road in Bucksport, South Carolina.
Conway, South Carolina – The Horry County Board of Architectural Review’s Legacy Business Recognition Program will recognize the following business with ribbon cutting ceremonies June 12, 2018: Jamestown Grocery located at 2703 4th Street in Conway at 2:15 p.m., and Oliver’s Restaurant located at 1301 Highway 501 Business also in Conway at 3 p.m. The ceremonies are free and open to the public.
The restaurant currently known as Jamestown Grocery & Restaurant was originally opened in 1962 as a grocery store and gas service station by Carlsyle Marlowe. Later the service station was closed down, enclosed and turned into a restaurant. Today the operation is incorporated with Carlsyle’s daughter, Beverly as the president. Her father is the vice president and his wife Lou Ellen, is the secretary. Even though Beverly’s parents are both in their 80s, they still come into the restaurant and help out. The Honorable Harold Philips, Horry County Council District 7, will be on hand to present the award to Jamestown Grocery & Restaurant.
In 1964, George Alton Oliver Sr. and George Alton Oliver Jr. opened a meat market and grocery store known as the Waccamaw Superette. As the market grew with the local mill workers coming for lunch, the decision was made to put in a grill and the name was changed to Oliver’s Lunchette. In 2002, the name was again changed to Oliver’s Restaurant. Four generations of Olivers have worked in the restaurant. The Honorable Johnny Vaught, Horry County Council District 8, will present the award to Oliver’s Restaurant.
Your username was successfully changed. You must now sign back into the site with your new username for the changes to take effect.