Public news and announcements are brought to you by the Horry County Public Information Office.
On May 12, 2017
in Closings, General
Conway, South Carolina – Horry County Parks & Recreation will close the Loris Nature Park located at 300 Loris Lions Road in Loris for routine maintenance Monday, May 15, 2017, through Friday, May 19, 2017.
Patrons are encouraged to visit one of Horry County’s other 32 parks located throughout the county. Park names, locations, and other information can be found on our website.
For additional information, contact the administrative offices of Horry County Parks & Recreation at 843-915-5330.
On February 24, 2017
Conway, South Carolina – The Horry County Board of Architectural Review’s Legacy Business Recognition Program will recognize three Loris businesses on March 17, 2017, with ribbon cutting ceremonies. A ceremony will be held at the Hardwick Funeral Home at 10 a.m., at Graham Brothers Farm Supply at 10:30 a.m., and at the Stevens Law Firm at 11 a.m. The ceremonies are free and open to the public.
In 1921, Jennings Hardwick began selling caskets at Peoples Hardware Store, and used his truck as a funeral coach. In 1948, Harold Hardwick, Jennings' son, began working in the business when he was only 14. After the passing of both father and son, the 3rd generation, Stephen Hardwick, became the owner and operator. Hardwick Funeral Home provides funeral, burial and cremation services as well as life celebration services.
Graham Brothers Farm Supply started in 1948 when Harvey Graham, Sr. began selling fertilizer, fruit, Christmas trees, and hail insurance. In 1951, he and his brother Horace built a feed mill, and then a farm supply store on Railroad Ave. In 1965 Harvey Jr. joined the family business, and Harvey Graham, III, joined in 1986. Today, Harvey and Harvey (Grayson) Graham, IV, continue successfully operating the feed and grain supply store.
In 1948-49, James Stevens enrolled at the University of South Carolina under the GI Bill. He went onto USC's Law School, obtaining his law degree and returned to Loris to set up his law practice. In addition to his practice, James served in the South Carolina Senate. In 1973, his son Jimmy graduated from USC's Law School and joined the practice. In 1986, James retired from the practice but remained with the law firm as “of counsel.”
The Horry County Legacy Business Recognition Program pays tribute to local businesses that have contributed to the economic heritage of Horry County for more than 50-continuous years. Hardwick Funeral Home is located at 4831 Main Street in Loris, Graham Brothers Farm Supply is located at 3818 Railroad Avenue in Loris, and the Stevens Law Firm is located at 3341 Broad Street in Loris. For more information, contact Mary Catherine Hyman, Senior Planner with Horry County Planning & Zoning at 843-915-5340.
On October 14, 2016
in Events, General
South Carolina – The Horry County Board of Architectural Review’s Legacy Business Recognition Program will recognize WF Cox, Wolpert’s Department Store, and Loris Drug Store on October 21, 2016, with ribbon cutting ceremonies. A ceremony will be held at WF Cox at 10 a.m., Wolpert’s Department Store at 10:30 a.m., and Loris Drug Store at 11 a.m. The ceremonies are free and open to the public.
The family-owned and operated WF Cox was opened in 1953. Steve Cox is the owner and a strong supporter of the community. His motto is, “We live here, we work here,” and treats customers like family, offering floor covering and major appliances throughout Horry, Marion, Columbus and Brunswick Counties.
Bernard and Katie Wolpert emigrated from Russia to New York. A cousin who lived in Whiteville convinced the couple to move to Loris, where they opened Wolpert’s Department Store in 1938. The Wolperts, with the help of their son Robert, owned the business until 1992 when it was purchased by the current owner Gene Mills.
The first drug store in Loris was known as Loris Drug Store. The business has been in Singleton Bailey’s family since 1947, with his father working there several years prior.
The Horry County Legacy Business Recognition Program pays tribute to local businesses that have contributed to the economic heritage of Horry County for more than 50-continuous years.
WF Cox is located at 3959 Main St. Loris, Wolpert’s Department Store is located at 4111 Main St. Loris, and Loris Drug Store is located at 4125 Main St. Loris For more information, contact Mary Catherine Hyman, Senior Planner with Horry County Planning & Zoning at 843-915-5340.
On December 16, 2013
in General, Road Construction & Closures
Conway, South Carolina – The bridge over Mitchell Swamp on Cascade Road, located off Highway 410 in the Loris area of Horry County, will be closed until further notice so repairs can be made from recent storm damage.
On October 11, 2013
For more information, please contact the Horry County Memorial Library Administration Office at 843-248-1548.
Your username was successfully changed. You must now sign back into the site with your new username for the changes to take effect.