Public news and announcements are brought to you by the Horry County Public Information Office.
On February 3, 2016
in Emergencies, Public Safety
Conway, South Carolina –The Horry County Emergency Management Department continues to monitor weather conditions as the National Weather Service is expecting a strong cold front to push towards South Carolina today. Rainfall total is expected to reach 1.5 to 2.5 inches by tomorrow evening. This amount of rainfall could create saturated soils and ponding in low lying areas or even minor flooding. General river flooding could be expected in the coming days should widespread rainfall amounts be on the higher side.
Citizens are encouraged to drive safely during heavy rain conditions that likely could occur this evening.
For more information on current weather conditions, please visit your local media or the National Weather Service.
On February 1, 2016
in General, Public Safety
Conway, South Carolina – As a result of the federal disaster declaration and flooding event that impacted Horry County on October 5, 2015, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has made available grant opportunities under the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program.
This particular grant program is a 75/25 cost share program. This type of cost share program gives selected, eligible projects 75% funding for the project cost from FEMA and the remaining 25% would be the applicant’s responsibility. Examples of eligible projects include elevation of flood prone structures, soil stabilization, safe room construction, dry flood proofing of non-residential structures etc.
If you are interested in completing a pre-application for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, please contact Ashley Carroll in the Horry County Emergency Management Department at (843) 915-6925.
On January 29, 2016
in Weekly Update
Click HERE for Horry County Government's meetings, agendas, events, releases and road construction for the week of February 1-5, 2016.
On January 29, 2016
in Events, General
Conway, South Carolina – The Keep Horry County Beautiful Committee will conduct the Annual Litter Index February 23, 2016. Community volunteers are needed to assist with the project.
Keep Horry County Beautiful (KHCB) is a local affiliate of Keep America Beautiful (KAB) and PalmettoPride. One of the requirements of all Keep America Beautiful affiliates is to conduct a Community Appearance Index (aka Litter Index).
Litter Indexes have been conducted annually since 2011, when KHCB was certified as an affiliate. KHCB members, staff, and volunteers conduct a windshield survey of 113 locations. The locations include sections of roadway, boat landings, and parks. Participants use the following grading system developed by Keep America Beautiful:
As part of the Litter Index, KHCB also surveys illegal signs. A similar scoring system is used:
A score is given to each location based on the amount of litter the participants see. At the end of the day, all the scores are totaled and divided by eight, which is the number of litter districts in Horry County, to get the Litter Index score for KAB.
There will be four groups of volunteers conducting the windshield survey in the morning and four groups in the afternoon. If you are interested in participating, please contact Nancy Tindall at 843-915-7893 or email .
On January 27, 2016
Conway, South Carolina – The Horry County Legislative Delegation is currently seeking applicants for the following boards/commissions that have vacancies, expired terms, or terms that expire in the near future:
Individuals interested in serving should call the Horry County Legislative Delegation office at (843) 915-5130 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. or email to request an application. The deadline for receiving applications is Friday, February 12, 2016.
Your username was successfully changed. You must now sign back into the site with your new username for the changes to take effect.